The 2018 SAMPE UK & Ireland Student Seminar was held at the IOM3 in London on 5th July. This event was heavily subscribed, with six smart students all giving impressive talks.
The judging panel comprised Andrew Mills, Carwyn Ward and Natalia Becerra.
The student presenters were:
- Geoff Neale (Ulster): “3D woven glass preforms for crash energy absorption structures”
- Lourens Bloc (Bristol): “ALM printing carbon TPs”
- Ghilane Bragagnolo (Surrey): “Flexural behaviour of CF fabric PMI core sandwich panels for car floor impact resistance”
- Wini Obande (Edinburgh): “In mould polymerised acrylic TP RTM”
- Riikka Hasa (Imperial): “Multilayer unusual lay up CF epoxy inspired by sea shells”
- Danijela Stankovic (Edinburgh): “Tensile strength investigation of ultra strong CF suspension bridge strut joints”
The winners were Riikka and Geoff, who repeated their presentations at the SAMPE Europe conference in Southampton in September, along with the winners from the other SAMPE Europe chapters.
In the “composite” photograph shown above, from left to right: Danijela Stankovic, Riikka Hasa, Geoff Neale, Natalia Becerra, Andrew Mills, Carwyn Ward, Ghilana Bragagnolo and Lourens Bloc.